Tuesday, March 26, 2013

It's been a long time coming

Hi.

It's been a while.

I'm going to change the focus here and actually focus on more interests than just food.  After all, the blog is called War of the Appetites, right?  I have an appetite for many things in my life. Food, yes, but also books, crafts, gardening, chickens, cats, and more.  So I'm going to widen the focus and maybe you're interested in other things too.

The first thing I want to get out there is that I am currently unemployed. This has given me some extra time to explore different interests of mine.  So far I've spent a lot of time napping and surfing the interwebs, but I have also developed quite the interest in urban homesteading.  Now, I daren't say the phrase "urban homesteading" to the other half; he'd accuse me of being a hipster and not take a word I say seriously.  Instead, I'm starting small.  With chickens.

Trixie and Cricket came first. One yellow, one black, they were sweet and fluffy and adorable when I picked them out at the feed store.


Trixie, the yellow one, is a Buff Orpington.  I've read that they are docile and friendly, and since I want lap chickens, she seemed perfect.  Cricket is a Barred Plymouth Rock.  Mostly I got her because I had to bring at least two chicks home the first time and the store didn't have the other two breeds I wanted.

A few days later, after corresponding with a woman down in Edgewood, I brought home Merci.  She is a Black Copper Marans, a hard-to-find breed around here.  When she's all grown up, she'll lay dark chocolate colored eggs.


Merci was three weeks old when I got her, and was hatched by a man who raised parrots.  She already knows how to step up, which is completely adorable.

Lastly, I got the Ameraucana I wanted.  Ameraucanas lay blue-green eggs and have fluffy beards.  Scooter's beard was obvious from day one, and her little fuzzy face is so sweet.


They've all gotten a lot bigger now... more to come!

No comments: