Monday, June 20, 2011

The best cauliflower I have ever eaten...

I love vegetables. But sometimes I have a hard time finding a way to make them exceptional. My standard for side dishes is usually just to buy one of those steam-in-bag veggie mixes and call it good.  But sometimes, if a recipe I find elsewhere includes a side dish, I fall in love with it and forget all about the main dish.  This was the case with the recipe for Spicy Cauliflower from Martha Stewart's website.  Originally it was "Roasted Salmon with Spicy Cauliflower," but the salmon portion of the meal wasn't that exciting.  I can salt and pepper a salmon myself, but the cauliflower was inspired.  I can't remember now if it was out of one of her magazines originally (I subscribe to a few), but I have definitely bookmarked it online for future use.  But just in case I lose my bookmarks, here is the recipe for posterity.  Sadly, I snorked it all down before thinking about taking a picture.

Ali's Favorite Cauliflower
adapted from MarthaStewart.com

1 head cauliflower
4-5 garlic cloves
2-3 anchovy fillets
1 tsp red pepper flakes (more or less, depending on your spicy tolerance)
Olive oil
Salt & pepper

Pre-heat the oven to 450F.

Finely mince the garlic cloves and anchovy and smash into a paste with the red pepper flakes.  Trim the cauliflower and cut into bite size florets. Toss the paste and cauliflower together in a bowl and add enough olive oil to coat the cauliflower (this will vary depending on the size of your cauliflower, but I used about a quarter of a cup).  Make sure all cauliflower is oiled or it might burn in the oven.

Spread the cauliflower on a baking sheet and roast for 15-30 minutes, or until it has reached your desired tenderness.  Mine was in there for about 35 or 40 minutes because my husband didn't get home when I expected him, but it was also a little softer than I would have preferred.

Eat and enjoy!

No comments: