Friday, June 17, 2011

That's me

I am not one of those cooks who have a routine. In fact, I seldom make the same thing twice. I tell people I like variety, which is true, but to be honest I also have a hard time remembering where I found the recipe for that dish-I-made-a-few-months-ago-that-we-loved-and-would-like-to-have-again. And to make matters worse, I'm not the most creative of cooks. I'm getting better, but it is a learning process. I can't just throw some random stuff from the fridge and pantry together and expect it to turn out anything remotely similar to the dish I made out of a cookbook by a James Beard awarded author. Or anyone else really. So this is where I will document the dishes we really love and would like to try again.

An introduction: My husband and I are in our 30s with no kids (thank God), and busy lives. I love to eat everything (and it shows), and my husband prefers to eat only junk food (and it doesn't show). We love the child-free lifestyle of being able to go out for drinks, take random roadtrips, change our plans at the last second, and generally pretend we are still college students.  We both work full time, but recently our schedules have slightly skewed, so I get home about 1.5 - 2 hours earlier than he does. That doesn't mean I necessarily want to spend that whole time cooking though!

I just really started cooking about 5 years ago when we bought a house and realized how much money we'd be spending on eating out. We LOVE eating out.  But it costs a lot, so I started making dinner at home. There were definitely some tough times in those early days... I'm still not completely competent at searing meat of any kind. But as the years have gone by, I've discovered I love it.  On a really rotten day at work, I come home, have a drink, and get down to preparing something delicious. Most the time, I try to stick to recipes that take less than an hour, but if I'm really stressed out, I like to make more complicated things... It distracts me.

Anyway, that's me. Hope this story benefits both of us.

No comments: